Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

EYE**heart**this boy...

So anyway, like I said yesterday. Sunday night turned out to be quite the little ordeal for our family. We were enjoying the wonderful day, playing outside and all. We had a Cinco de Mayo party to go to at our friends house. So we headed over there to PARTY!!
Well, the kids were all playing outside and the adults were just visiting on the porch. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the accident. A boy was riding on the swing set teeter-totter (the kind that goes back and forth when you push with your feet). Cash was standing right in front of him. He got going pretty high and then it hit. Poor little Cash got hit right in the face and it knocked him to the ground. He starting screaming immediately and Todd was quickly scooping him off the ground. As he ran towards me I could see the blood gushing from Cash's eye. We were both sort of freaking out I will admit. It's awful to see your own kid bleed like this. It was bleeding so much that I couldn't tell where it was coming from. His eye or somewhere very near to it. We held him down so that I could look closer. There was a big ol' gash starting at the corner of his eye heading upwards that went right along his lash line. It was deep and I knew that stitches were in order. As we drove to the ER Cash was saying in "Daddy, eye hurts." I must admit that it broke my heart. He was so brave though and wasn't even crying anymore. Anyhow, we got there and they determined that a conscious sedation was the only way to handle the situation and sew it up good, since it was in such a yucky spot. It had to be done very carefully. So they sedated my little boy ( and it was again very sad) and threw in 8 stitches.
Now I know that I am a nurse and all but when it is my own kid, I am not a nurse anymore. I am totally in mommy mode and have found that I freak out just like anyone else would. We are so LUCKY as the Dr. told us that his eye wasn't hurt at all. I can't tell you how blessed we feel. He is a tough little guy though and with some Tylenol on board, he acts like his little old self. Thanks for all your care and concern!




One more thing... don't wear white when your kids get hurt and there is blood all over. Todd and I both had white shirts on!

10 comments:

Megan and Alyvia said...

Poor Cash! What a little trooper, though!! He'll be good as new in no time! (:

Kayleen said...

Oh poor little guy! Head wounds are the worst! They bleed so much. Tyler had to get 5 stitches right above his eye when he was about Cash's age too. At least boys are proud of scars. . he loves to show it off!

Becki R said...

Poor Cash! I have a scar on my eye almost like his from a similar accident! What a trooper though and I'm sure you were scared to death! I would be too! I'm glad that he will be fine though. Poor kid!

Briannia said...

I HATE TO HEAR WHEN KIDS ARE HURT OR IN PAIN. YOU JUST WANT TO TAKE THE PAIN AWAY FROM THEM, AND SAY LET ME TAKE IT. GLAD EVERYTHING TURNED OUT OK(:

Becky T said...

Oh, how sad! I cant' believe how close it was to his lash line. That is so scary! What a tough guy, though. We love him!

These Four Walls said...

Poor kid! It is the worst when your own kids are hurt. I'm glad he is okay! Side note - Owen has those same jammies!

Amber Wray said...

I am so glad Cash is okay but man what a rough thing to have to go through. I am with you. When it is your own kid all nursing logic goes out the window you are just a scared mommy. Happens quite often to me, in fact. Poor Cash but what a blessing it didn't damage his vision.

Shay said...

Oh, poor Cash! I'm so glad it all turned out fine! It's great that you are a nurse and knew exactly what needed to be done.

Hailey, Brandon & Connor said...

That is so sad! I almost cried when Connor got his fat lip. I am sure I have many more injuries to go!

Anonymous said...

Poor kid. He must be a Kirwan boy...